Updated 16th August 2016
Your privacy is important
This statement outlines the OBE Organic (the ‘Company’) policy on how the Company uses and manages personal information provided to or collected by it.
OBE Organic is bound by the National Privacy Principles contained in the Commonwealth Privacy Act.
When is personal information collected by OBE Organic?
We will collect personal information from you when;
• You request a product or information about a product.
• You apply for a position with us.
• You offer a service to us.
• You engage with us through our website or via our social media platforms.
• We meet you in the course of doing business, including at meetings, events we organize, functions we attend, or via email correspondence.
What kind of personal information does OBE Organic collect?
The type of information OBE Organic collects and holds includes (but is not limited to)
personal information, including sensitive information, about:
• producers before, during and after the course of a producers contact with the Company;
• customers before, during and after the course of a customer’s contact with the Company
• job applicants, staff members, volunteers, contractors, service providers; and
• other people who come into contact with the Company.
The information collected may include your name, postal or email address, date of birth, financial details, tax file number, employment history, health information, your payment details including your bank account details or credit card details, your IP address and any other information required to provide the services or products you requested or other information the Company considers necessary.
How does OBE Organic treat sensitive information?
In referring to ‘sensitive information’ OBE Organic means: information relating to a person’s
racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion, trade union or other professional or trade
association membership, sexual preferences or criminal record, that is also personal information;
and health information about an individual.
Sensitive information will be used and disclosed only for the purpose for which it was provided or a
directly related secondary purpose, unless you agree otherwise, or the use or disclosure of the
sensitive information is allowed by law.
How is personal information collected?
Personal Information you provide: OBE Organic will generally collect personal information
held about an individual by way of an administrative form or when you give us personal information over the telephone, by email, or through the Company’s website or social media platforms.
Personal Information provided by other people: In some circumstances OBE Organic may be provided with personal information about an individual from a third party, For example, we may need to collect personal information from a credit reporting agency, your referees, your employer or publicly available sources of information, such as an internet search.
Exception in relation to employee records: Under the Privacy Act the National Privacy
Internet specific data collection
On our website, we may collect information about name, postal address, email address, other contact information, age, interests, gender, IP addresses and other personal data. All or some of the information may be collected each time you visit our website.
Our web server will record the date and time you visit our site, the pages viewed, how you navigated through our site and the information downloaded. The Company will only use this information for statistical purposes and to assist in the further development of our website.
USE OF DATA
How will OBE Organic use the personal information you provide?
OBE Organic will use personal information it collects from you for the primary purpose of sourcing, processing and selling organic beef to domestic and export markets, and for such other secondary purposes that are related to the primary purpose of collection and reasonably expected, or to which you have consented.
Producers : In relation to personal information of Producers, OBE Organic’s primary purpose of collection is to enable the Company to source certified organic livestock from the producer.
The purposes for which the Company uses personal information of Producers include:
• To keep producers informed about matters related to our Company through correspondence
• Day-to-day administration;
• To satisfy the Company’s legal obligations and allow the OBE Organic to discharge its duty
• of care.
In some cases where OBE Organic requests personal information about a producer, if the information requested is not obtained, the Company may not be able to continue to work with the producer.
Customers : In relation to personal information of Customers, OBE Organic’s primary purpose of collection is to enable the Company to supply certified organic beef to the customer.
The purposes for which the Company uses personal information of Customers include:
• To keep customers informed about matters related to our Company through correspondence.
• Day-to-day administration;
• for insurance purposes
• To satisfy the Company’s legal obligations
Personal information held by the Company may be disclosed to service providers that assist in the Company’s day-to-day activities, including marketing (PR and Communications Consultants) & quality assurance (3rd party auditors).
In some cases where OBE Organic requests personal information about a customer, if the information requested is not obtained, the Company may not be able to continue to supply the customer.
Job applicants, staff members and contractors: In relation to personal information of job applicants, staff members and contractors, the Company’s primary purpose of collection is to assess
and (if successful) to engage the applicant, staff member or contractor, as the case may be.
The purposes for which the Company uses personal information of job applicants, staff members and
• in administering the individual’s employment or contract, as the case may be;
• for insurance purposes;
• to satisfy the Company’s legal obligations.
Personal information held by the Company may be disclosed to service providers that assist in the Company’s day-to-day activities, including human resources (HR consultants).
Volunteers: OBE Organic also obtains personal information about volunteers who assist the
Company in its functions or conduct associated activities, such as producer trips overseas and managing customer visits. We do this to enable the Company and the volunteers to work together.
DISCLOSURE OF DATA
Who might the Company disclose personal information to?
OBE Organic may disclose personal information, including sensitive information, held about
• To contracted external service organisations for the purpose of managing and administering the business and marketing;
• To Government departments, such as Austrade for the purpose of facilitating overseas business meetings;
• To industry organisations such as MLA for the purpose of administering marketing programs under the Industry Collaborative Agreement (ICA) program or co-branded marketing campaigns.
• To related companies such as other beef or organic companies for the purpose of collaborative marketing campaigns.
• To people providing services to the Company such as photographers or graphic designers,
• To organisations which provide credit or the management of credit services to the Company such as banks, insurance brokers, underwriters and debt collection agencies for the purpose of financial risk management.
• To recipients of Company publications, like newsletters and emails for the purpose of letting them know about products from the Company or promotions or other opportunities in which they may be interested.
• To anyone you authorise the Company to disclose information to.
Sending information overseas:
As a global company OBE Organic may transfer personal data collected by us to our branch office in Hong Kong for the purposes stated above, as well as to data processors outside of Australia in other countries globally for storage and service purposes. Personal data will not be disclosed to anyone outside the Company without your consent unless permitted or required under applicable legislation.
OBE Organic will not send personal information about an individual outside Australia without:
• Obtaining the consent of the individual (in some cases this consent will be implied); or
• Otherwise complying with the national privacy principles.
ACCURACY OF DATA
We aim to make sure that the personal information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete, relevant, not misleading and up-to-date. We will take reasonable steps, such as regular audits, to make sure this is the case.
If you believe your personal information is not accurate, complete or up to date, please contact us (visit the Contact Us page on our website).
STORAGE AND SECURITY OF DATA
Management and security of personal information
We store information in different ways, including in paper and electronic form. The security of your personal information is important to us and we take reasonable steps to protect it from misuse and loss and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Some of the ways we do this are:
• confidentiality requirements for our employees
• security measures for systems access
• providing a discreet environment for confidential discussions
• only allowing access to personal information where the individual seeking access has satisfied our identification requirements
• access control for our buildings
• the security measures described below under Our Websites.
OBE Organic staff are required to respect the confidentiality of producers’ and customers’ personal
information and the privacy of other individuals.
ACCESS AND CORRECTION OF DATA
You have the right to check what personal information OBE Organic holds about you
Under the Commonwealth Privacy Act, an individual has the right to obtain access to any personal
information which OBE Organic holds about them and to advise the Company of any perceived
inaccuracy. There are some exceptions to this right set out in the Act.
To make a request to access any information the Company holds about you, please
contact the Administration Manager in writing.The Company may require you to verify your identity and specify what information you require.
Updating personal information
OBE Organic endeavours to ensure that the personal information it holds is accurate,
complete and up-to-date. A person may seek to update their personal information held by the
Company, by contacting the Administration Manager at any time by phone or email.
The National Privacy Principles require the Company not to store personal information longer than
Using Government identifiers
Although in certain circumstances we may be required to collect government identifiers such as your tax file number or ABN numbers, we do not use or disclose this information other than when required or authorised by law or unless you have voluntarily consented to disclose this information to any third party.
Dealing with us anonymously
You can deal with us anonymously where it is lawful and practicable to do so. For example, if you inquire about supply of livestock to OBE, you do not need to provide your personal details.
YOUR PRIVACY ON THE INTERNET
We take care to ensure that any personal information you give us via our website, is protected. Security of any data transmitted through the Internet can never be 100% guaranteed, therefore you use our website entirely at your own risk.
Categories of Personal Data
You can access and visit our Website without providing us with any personal data and without having personal data collected, processed or used by us.
In case you contact us by using the contact form available on the Internet Website, you will be asked to provide the following personal data (“Personal Data”): first and last name, email address & telephone number.
Processing and Use of Personal Data
We process and use your Personal Data exclusively for the purpose of handling your inquiry via the contact form. The information is retained in our email system and is also held in a cloud based lead storage system designated for ‘leads’. We may contact you in the future to engage with you about our products and/or invite you to participate in conversation with us on our various social media platforms.
Anonymous Access Data
During your visit to our website, the web server collects anonymous access data for statistical purposes. These anonymous access data give us information about the access frequency of certain subpages of the website and enable us to steadily improve the services we provide for you. An identification of the user through these data is not possible. Visitor-focused analysis of these data will not occur.
What are cookies used for? Cookies and other technologies allow a site or services to know if your computer or device has visited it before. These technologies can then be used to deliver products, services, and ads, help us understand how the site or service is being used, help you navigate between pages efficiently, help remember your preferences, and generally improve your experience in using our services. Cookies can also help ensure marketing you see online is more relevant to you and your interests.
The following third parties store the following cookies on our website:
• Google Analytics (provided by Google Inc.) to enable us a) to perform statistical analyses of e.g. number of visitors, information on gender, age, location, interests and the like to learn about our visitors and b) to improve the website friendliness and usability, e.g. on the basis of website traffic measurements
• Youtube (provided by YouTube LLC.) to store session preferences (e.g. language) and suggest other content based on your previous uses (only activated when you are logged in to Youtube when visiting our website and only when clicking the YouTube button)
• Facebook (provided by Facebook, Inc.) to identify users logged in to Facebook for the purpose of sharing content on Facebook (only when you are logged in to Facebook when visiting our website and only when clicking the Facebook button)
• LinkedIn (provided by LinkedIn Corp.) to enable the “follow” and “share” features of LinkedIn (only when you are logged in to LinkedIn when visiting our website and only when clicking the LinkedIn button).
• Instagram (provided by Instagram Inc.) to enable the “pin” and “share” features of Instagram (only when you are logged in to Instagram when visiting our website and only when clicking the Instagram button).
• Twitter (provided by Twitter, Inc.) to enable the “tweet” feature of Twitter (only when you are logged in to Twitter when visiting our website and only when clicking the Twitter button).
How to control cookies or other collection mechanisms? You may delete cookies if you no longer wish to store them on your computer. Follow the instructions provided by your browser (usually located within the “Help”, “Tools” or “Edit” facility) to modify your cookie settings. Please note that if you set your browser to disable cookies or other technologies, you may not be able to access certain parts of our website.
Links to Other Sites
You may be able to access external websites by clicking on links we have provided. Those other websites are not subject to our privacy standards, policies and procedures. We are not responsible or liable for the content or activities of any third party Websites that we may link to. You will need to contact or review those websites directly to ascertain their privacy standards, policies and procedures. If you have any questions in this regard, or believe that a Website that we link to is not within the context of the products and services we offer, then please contact us.
OPTING OUT OF MARKETING AND PROMOTIONS
Your may instruct us to remove any previous consent you provided to receive marketing communications from us, by following the instructions detailed below.
RESOLVING YOUR PRIVACY ISSUES
• You are always welcome to speak directly or email our staff and they will do their best to resolve your issue. If investigation is required we will keep you advised of progress. If staff are unable to resolve the matter, it will be escalated as appropriate to facilitate resolution.
• You call our Brisbane head office any time between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday EST on +61 7 3062 9600.
• You can email your issue to email@example.com.
For more information about privacy in general, you can visit the Federal Privacy Commissioner’s website
If you would like further information about the way OBE Organic manages the personal
information it holds, please contact the Administration Manager.