Mark’s Secrets to a Succulent Striploin Roast
Striploin is a fantastic roast for any occasion with its exceptional eating quality. It has a distinctive thin layer of fat coverage and its marbling helps to keep this joint superbly tender, juicy and flavorsome.
Prep Time | 30 mins
Cook Time | 2 hours
Technique | Roast
Meat | Beef
Cut | Striploin
Serves | 10+
- OBE Organic Half Cut Striploin (aged in Cryovac for at least 4 weeks)
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tsp fresh/dried Garlic
- 1 tsp Rosemary
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin
- Roasting tray with rack
- Cutting board
- Sharp Knife – I recommend Victorinox
- Internal Meat Thermometer (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 120° degrees Fan Forced
- Remove OBE Organic Striploin from the fridge at least 30 mins prior to cooking
- Score the fat with shallow cuts to make a diamond criss-cross pattern for even heat distribution
- Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl to make the seasoning
- Drizzle the beef with oil and massage in
- Rub the seasoning all over the meat and into the cuts on the fat, focusing most of the seasoning on the top
- Place the Striploin on the centre of the rack on the roasting tray and place the tray on the middle shelf in your oven
- Cook for 1-1.5 hours depending on the size of your cut.
- I like mine at an internal temp of 55° degrees for a nice pink interior. For a medium cook, try for 60° degrees
- Pull the OBE Organic Striploin out and rest for 20 minutes
- Turn your oven to ‘Grill’ and increase the temperature to 220° degrees
- Place the Striploin back in the oven on the highest rack with the oven door slightly ajar to caramelise the fat for 1-2 minutes.
- TOP TIP: Keep watching the oven for this process, the last thing you want is to burn the fat. Once that fat has crisped to your liking, be sure to get your cooks treat in with a bit of crackle.
- Serve it up and enjoy it now as a roast or let it cool completely to slice into cold cuts to your desired thickness.