In November 2017, OBE became (to our knowledge) just the fourth agribusiness to have a Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) endorsed by Reconciliation Australia. RAPs are simple, practical plans, developed with the support of Reconciliation Australia, to document what an organisation plans to do to build respectful relationships and create opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Highlights in the eight months to 30 June 2018 included:
* Hosting a screening of Gurrumul in May for National Reconciliation Week, with OBE staff and guests attending
* Forming a Working Group to oversee our RAP implementation. Membership includes two Aboriginal women who provide invaluable advice and support along our journey
* Advocating widely for other agribusinesses to adopt a RAP, including directly to industry leaders and via interviews or presentations
* A media release announcing our RAP led to articles in industry media
* Making 26 social media posts aimed at raising awareness of RAPs and reconciliation in agribusiness
* Developing draft procurement and employment strategies.
You can view our OBE Organic RAP here.