Bun Bo Xao (Vietnamese beef noodle salad)
Prep time | 15 minutes
Cook time | 1 hour
Meat | Beef
Cut | Sirloin
Serves | 4
Ingredients for Sauce:
- 4 Tablespoons of sugar
- 3 Tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 4 Tablespoons of lime juice
- 4 Tablespoons of fish sauce
- 2 Minced garlic cloves
- 1 ½ Teaspoons of minced ginger
- 1 Minced medium sized hot chilli
Ingredients for Stir-Fry:
- 0.4 kgs of OBE Organic beef sirloin (cut thinly)
- 0.3 kgs of Rice vermicelli noodles
- 2 Tablespoons of fish sauce
- 1 Tablespoon of brown sugar
- 3 Minced garlic cloves
- 3 Tablespoons of finely chopped lemon grass
- 1 Lettuce head
- 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 Slivered spring onion
- 1 Carrot (grated)
- 1 Cup of bean sprouts
- 1 Cucumber (grated)
- 1 Cup of chopped coriander
- 1 Cup of mint leaves
- 4 Tablespoons of fried shallots
- 4 Tablespoons of roasted peanuts
- Large cooking pot
Method for Sauce:
- In a medium sized bowl combine sugar, rice vinegar and lime juice then stir until dissolved.
- Add fish sauce, garlic, ginger, water and chilli to the sauce base and stir.
- Allow the mixture to marinate and meld for 15 minutes before serving.
Method for Stir-Fry:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then add rice noodles. Once noodles have been submerged sir to loosen, turn off heat and allow to cook in the hot water for roughly 5-8 minutes. Once the noodles are cooked, they should then be drained and rinsed with cold water
- Combine beef, fish sauce, sugar, garlic and lemongrass into a large mixing bowl. Massage seasoning into beef and allow it to marinate for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Place noodles in serving bowls and top with lettuce.
- Heat the oil in a wok or pan over high heat. Once smoke begins to show on the surface, add the beef and stir fry until lightly browned and just cooked; this process will take approximately 2 minutes.
- Top serving bowls with the cooked beef, carrots, cucumber, bean sprouts and spring onion. Garnish with herbs, crushed peanuts, fried shallots and ladle the sauce lightly over the meal before mixing and consuming.